Popular Posts

Friday, July 31, 2009

Fitness Worldwide: Trinidad and Tobago


The world of fitness as we know it has grown immensely with the advent of the Internet. What used to be shared by fellow gym rats, team mates, or possibly a region, are now out there for the world to see.

If one wants to find information on any type of fitness regime or nutrition protocol you are merely a Google click away from thousands of pages that will fill your need.


Yet as I explained in the first article we are still largely blinded by our own selves, the latest crazes, and largely by the western world, US and Canada. We get in our cliques, or groups as fitness enthusiast and even coaches and get blinded to the world as a whole. My aim with this series is to open our minds to both this global market, give us al a glimpse of the state of the industry elsewhere from the eye’s of the people living it and I'm sure as well learn a few things we may adopt.

With that I welcome Daryl Sebro (http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1259709811&ref=mf) from Arima, Trinidad and Tobago. Daryl thanks for lending us your time today for this interview and a glimpse into your life and the state of training and nutrition in Trinidad.














PS: Daryl, you started fitness at a fairly young age, Around 13, and what I found interesting is you started it alone in your room doing push up’s, sit up’s, and curls; lifting not dumbbells and the like but slabs of rock or marble. The great thing is you likely made excellent progress with the minimal tools as you couldn’t get ADD from all the tools at your disposal, and instead your variation came from the activities you could do with a few implements. Am I correct? What kind of progress did you make in those early days?

DS: Back then my progress was great. Things were easy. Mom and dad fed me, I had no bills to pay. After school I hit the gym, when I got home hot food was on the table waiting for me!!! My father and I shared supplements, and I could sleep for at least 9 hours every night. I was able to relax, train, eat, and rest, a perfect combination for anyone looking to make stellar progress.

PS: Was taking up strength training a norm for adolescent boys and girls in Trinidad during your younger years, and how does it compare to today.

DS: It wasn't the norm at all in Trinidad when I was a child. Fitness was largely thought of as recreation. Meaning, it was taught as part of the school curriculum but outside of that it wasn't really popular at all. It was something you had to do, should do, not something you wanted to do.

Today, Yeah, it is more the norm. The government is now pumping a lot more time money into the development of youth sports. There is much more an emphasis on it, so now we have a lot more kids actively engaged in competitive sports. Which in turn leads to other avenues of physical fitness by default.

PS: You later went to take up sports in college, eventually the Trinidad and Tabago Regiment, and worked your way up to being part of the team responsible for the fitness of new recruits. What did your training look like in these years?

DS: In college my training was basically sport specific, tailored towards peak performance in football, cricket, and basketball. In our spare time we basically tried to pack on as much mass as possible so benching and barbell curls were a staple exercises. At the time it worked, although probably due to the fact that I was still going through puberty.

During the training period with the new recruits things were a bit more structured. We had a wealth of info. and experience to draw from, and that is basically all we did. Our day would start at 0430, we would conduct a training session for about an hour, have breakfast, hit the gym, grab lunch, sleep, then another training session in the evening, grab supper, then sleep again. That was on a hard day.

When I began training people I saw some very real gains due largely to the fact that I did a lot of experimenting on myself before I did anything with my trainees. Again as was the case when I was younger, sleep was a non issue.

PS: You have now moved on from the Regiment life and have taken a position as a paramedic. Now not only does your life, but that of others revolves around you staying in some semblance physical shape. What does your training revolve around now? What’s the typical foundation of your training today?

DS: Now things are different. I'm working close to 60 hours a week and not near as much sleep. I still train regularly, 5 times a week, and I try to eat at least 5 times a day, But not near the luxury of that when I was at mom and dads or the regiment. My training focus is basically strength gains, and overall health. Where as in year gone by it was just for the chics. As a paramedic in the army I have a greater appreciation and passion for training, health, and wellbeing. My biggest challenge thus far is realizing that not everyone shares my passion, and nagging injury.

Those are the main differences in general. As far as my training; it revolves around dips, pull ups, push ups, leg presses, leg extensions, and hanging leg raises.

PS: Over the years from a little Daryl just starting out, to lifting cinder blocks and bricks, to a Paramedic; Daryl how has your Nutrition evolved along the way?

DS: Nutrition wise I would say things were of course better in the old days. I generally had more time to prepare and enjoy meals then now. My nutrition isn't that great now due to work, I basically eat when it's time to eat. I buy supplements, not religiously, and eat lots of fruits and water. Today I eat whatever passes close by my mouth. Yes I know it sucks, but that's the story of my life!!!!

PS: OK Daryl now lets move away from you and more onto the culture of Trinidad and Tabago as a whole, fitness and nutrition wise, from your point of view.

What is your view of the general physical state of people in your country? As you know America, and much of the world is in a Obesity epidemic. Is the same true for Trinidad Tabago? Are the people generally fit generally fit, obese, or somewhere in between. Is the average person interested in fitness and nutrition? Are training facilities/gyms abundant and if so what are they like on average? More the fitness facility or the hard core gym?

It's like this, around Christmas it's acceptable to put on a few extra pounds because you know you’re gonna throw it off for Carnival ( a month long celebration that culminates on a Monday and Tuesday with a street procession. People wearing nothing more than bathing suits) . That makes it difficult for the hard core gym goers like myself because you now have to compete for space on the treadmill, or even in an aerobics class because everyone wants to look ripped for Carnival.


With that in mind I wouldn't say that obesity is a problem here, it’s more a question of laziness. Obesity in itself is a relative term as you know. (the bmi index used here is based on American standards). I recently took my three year old son to the pediatrician, (let me tell you, you get tired just looking this kid run) guess what the doctor told us? Your son is overweight!!!!!




PS: OH yes the almighty BMI! Got to love it. Yes I think we can all relate Daryl. I mean I recently did a cut and even after that by BMI was still well over “overweight” and actually deeply entranced in stage 2 obesity. It’s frankly now my goal to eclipse my current stage 3 obesity and achieve stage 4 at a low teens body fat. : ) BMI just needs to be restructured or there should be a body fat % clause.

PS: The personal training industry? Do you have personal trainers there, and if so how are they regarded in general as far as competence, effectiveness, etc..?

DS: The personal training industry is alive and well. I can say this because the military in Trinidad is responsible for producing nearly all the personal trainers here and in the Caribbean, or at least starting them off. They have to go either to the states or England for accreditation.

PS: Which type of training is most popular there, i.e., weightlifting (oly), powerlifting, bodybuilding, Athletic based, other??

DS: We do have a few bodybuilders that make it on the international scene. One you might know is pro Dareem Charles. Powerlifting isn't so popular either in Trinidad. Athletics is by far the most popular guys like Anton Boldon and Richard Thompson put us on the map.

PS: Where do people in general turn for the vast majority of their fitness and nutrition knowledge? How are athletics / athletes viewed by average adults? In the US many are seeing a huge separation between the average person and the athlete compared to in the past So sadly it is something many feel they cant be / achieve. Is it he same in Trinidad and Tobago?

DS: People are slowly changing their perception on health and fitness as more info becomes available via media & internet. We have seen an increase in the number of gyms and fitness clubs due largely to the fact that people realize that sport in Trinidad and Tobago is becoming a lucrative business. There is even a sport company of Trinidad and Tobago that offers scholarships to young athletes with potential.

PS: How about the supplement industry?? Is it large and booming much like in the states?

DS: Supplements are available here however the range and variety is not like in the states!!

PS: To end this look into the fitness and nutrition industry as its seen in Trinidad and Tabago. We might as well go to a topic that is and always will come up from it seems mainly outsiders of the industry more so then those entrenched in it. Steroids. Is the use of Anabolic Steroids or others performance or physique enhancement drugs and techniques prevalent in Trinidad and Tabago?

DS: I honestly don't have much info on their use, and if I did I wouldn't put my head on a block for anyone!!!!

PS: Daryl on that note I want to thank you for a great interview and taking the time, letting us have a glimpse of your life and your country as it pertains to fitness and nutrition. If your ever in Phoenix please look me up.

DS: No problem Phil it was my pleasure.

PS: Stay tuned everyone in the coming weeks I have interviews in this series lined up with people from the UK, the Netherlands, Japan, and possibly Thailand. If you are someone in a country aboard and would like to chime in drop me a line - phil@staleytraining.com.


Originally Published on Staley Training Systems

No comments:

Post a Comment