Popular Posts

Wednesday, June 17, 2009

"Will Work For Food"

BY: Phil Stevens


















We're in the largest push ever to eat “healthy,” get “fit,” in “shape”

Quick fix here, quick fix there, take this pill, or put in just 3 minutes a day 3 times a week on this contraption. Yet obesity is an epidemic, along with the health problems that go with it, are at the highest rate ever.

So what’s missing? Is it to much food? The wrong kinds of food? Maybe you got the short end of the genetic stick. Hell no, it’s the work, or lack of. Sure your grandpa could eat like a horse and not gain an ounce of fat. Yhea, He was out busting is butt tending cattle, working in a factory, or some form of manual labor. Your in upper management, or an IT job, or even todays so called manual labor jobs that are ever increasingly aided by technology. Is that bad NO. But you must realize your in the most sedentary society ever.

Case in point…You wanna eat like grandapa, ya gotta work like grandpa. Flat out, plain and simple. That’s where training comes in.

I know many lifter that the sole reason they keep their lifting and training habits is for the simple fact it allows them to eat, enjoy food and beverages. Many times in, or near, gluttonous amounts with little or no negative. Impact. In many cases actually its actually a positive impact. The food is needed and actually aids their progress.

So what am I getting at? Essentially it’s earning your right to dietary freedom through your actions.


“Deadlift For Doughnuts”


A complex yet simple method Charles and I thought of during one of our Saturday training sessions at the Bed & Barbell that initially started as a joke, then moved to a successful way for me to pack on the pounds coming up to my next competition. I have since implemented into my program for several months for both gaining and now to maintain / drop a bit of weight during a short off season.

The beauty is that like any great concept, exercise, or program its adjustable to fit any goal with a little imagination. The method shows you not just how much dietary freedom you can have, but at times, must have to reach your goals.

It can be both the throttle on your eating / training, or the governor on your training / eating dependent on your goals, make up, needs, and how you implement it. It allows you to focus and put your efforts into, NOT the things you dread or see as a negative, but on the positive aspects of your regimen It sets a standard for what ever aspect, intake or training, you struggle with.


The nuts and bolts of “Deadlifting for Doughnuts”

Simply put, For every lb at or over the 600lbs I have to eat 1 calorie in doughnuts.

I have a standard set of having to pull 600lbs in some form every Saturday, if I want to maintain or advance my lift. The percentage runs between roughly 80% and 90% on any given deadlift variation (from the floor, varied heights of rack pulls, etc.)

Lets take last Saturday for example. My work sets ended at 6 singles at 600lbs even. So 600 lbs x 6 = 3600 calories in doughnuts I then had to consume. Flat out, the amount of deadlifting I do on Saturday, instructs me just how many doughnuts I then get, have, or need to consume following the training that day. I earn, or am instructed on my needed or desired level of indulgence through my training efforts for that day.

If I am craving a TON of doughnuts and am not in a period of training that’s very high intensity, I got to work my butt off that day to earn them. If I’m in a very hard training cycle getting ready for a meet in which I’ve been packing my face day in, day out, to the point even the thought of food is getting DAMN old.

Well, I know when I get done with training for that day, due to the work output, I have to cram said amount of doughnuts in my pie hole in order to keep advancing to my goals. If I don’t want to have to pack more food in my face. If I want to take a break from eating. Then I have to back off the training for that day. In turn I wont need as much intake to recover ort maintain my weight.

It's really beautiful in its simplicity. Simple, effective, keeps me on my toes, and actually adds a bit of spice and enjoyment to training that otherwise wouldn’t be there without it. Just tell someone your dead lifting for doughnuts and see what kind of looks and questions you get.

It doesn’t have to be doughnuts. It doesn’t have to be one day. It doesn’t have to be one calories per pound, or 90% intensity. Make it personally fit you and your goals. It’s the basic concept that’s important. A way to add a new equalizer into your regimen for a bit of spice, or to keep you honest and progressing to your goals. You got no excuse, one action breeds a definite outcome. Or one action reaps a deserved reward. If you’re really needing to pack on lbs you might implement this plan every training day, one lift for each day In turn, required intake for said activity.

If you're looking to cut a good bit of weight and you have a hard time restricting your intake. Maybe you do this one day a week, for one exercise. Possibly you have an exercise or food you don’t particularly enjoy, but know MUST be in your program for your goals. This just may add that extra bit of reward needed to give it your all, allowing you to focus on something positive.

The point is more training (activity/ work)= more caloric expenditure & more recovery issues = More earned/required intake.


Originally Published on StaleyTraining.com


No comments:

Post a Comment