Popular Posts

Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Is Your Chosen Path Healthy or Irrational?

By Phil Stevens

So a couple of weeks ago I’m sitting at my computer working away. As my usual I’d throw up a tid bit here and there on face book about what the “wombat” is doing for those endless fans that just cant get enough.














Just so happens during this time I was smack dab in the middle of a VERY seldom cutting phase. Actually doing a 4 week Body comp contest with Charles and a few clients.

So multiple times a day I post about the training I’m doing, odd food concoctions I’m eating etc. Well next thing I know I get a reply back from an old friend, Her reply was a simple:


“You're Obsessed”

Funny enough that simple two word reply really stuck a cord in me, it made me both laugh and think.

Obsessed? Such a negative term, am I obsessed?? Is it bad to be obsessed?? The exact same term has been used to define people such as Tiger Woods, Michelangelo, Michael Jordan, Steven King, Lance Armstrong, and nearly any and everyone who has ever reach, worked for and obtained greatness through hard work, laboring, some planned and accepted sacrifice and dedication to reach their goals.

So is obsessed bad? Why is it that the nearly ALL of the most successful people are usually labeled “Obsessed”, and usually labeled so by those less successful then themselves. Is it faulty to be obsessed? Do I care? Or is it simply a case of the wrong word being used to describe a situation by someone who has not taken the time to really look fully to educate and get an understanding of the situation of the individual they are labeling obsessed is in and has chosen to take on. Take these people wrongly, and ignorantly (meaning: Showing or arising from a lack of education or knowledge: an ignorant mistake)

Labeling someone “obsessed” who is actually more correctly defined as, I don’t know? Driven, dedicated, devoted, committed, and who’s actions, habits, traits more times then not are highly successful.

Obsessed? Again am I? I know I have been in my past, but its surely not the correct term to be used now is it? Lets take a look at obsessed.

Obsessed = To have the mind excessively preoccupied with a single emotion or topic

Possibly?? But what is excessive? Who gets to classify how much time we should devote to thinking about something we Love, find Pride, Joy and Happiness in? Is it wrong for Tiger woods to spend Hours and Hours each day laboring at hitting golf balls? His sport and job that he loves, and is arguably the best at? In turn is it wrong for me to spend hours thinking and implementing actions of training and nutrition. Striving to be the best at the sport, Job, and life I have chosen? A life I am having great success, have set numerous state, regional and National records in. A passion I have dedicate a ton of time and thoroughly find joy out helping others reach their goals? I say no.

To me obsession stems from something negative, something stressful, usually emotional. As well obsession to me bread lack of success. The obsessed person is laboring away endlessly, making no head ground, no progress and full of sadness, madness, stress yet they keep it up. They despite the fact they hate what they are doing, hate what it does to them cant stop it. Cant walk away, cant do anther thing. The action or obsession actually pain and stress more so then it causes Joy, I’ve been there. I’ve hated life, my results of my actions and lack of progress and yet couldn’t stop my own actions. The two are very close, it’s a fine line, but there are greatly different as well.

But wait I train HARD, and at time I have injuries, I cause pain to myself. I Eat HARD, I labor at usually stuffing my face with much more then is comfortable. I consistently get under a bar at least ¼ ton of weight on it and move the damn thing. Or at times I’m holding back, I’m hungry. Yet I still going to train, I hit the road to do cardio to shed fat.

I am in a constant state of repair, anywhere from small to large but NEVER 100% pain free. Or rarely without having to Give MORE then others feel possible, or take less then others.

I put up with extreme’s. But I do so to reach goals. Is that not obsession?? It is the path away from average.

The difference is These thing I go through, I put up with, and subject myself to are chosen. They are parts of an activity, and passion and life I love and I actually get joy from. They cause 3 fold the happiness then they cause pain and stress. And I can turn it off for moments if I choose and do things briefly that may not fit my goals BUT I do so by choice.

I am in control, not being controlled.

The difference is the fact I recognize, I know, and I accept fully what I have to give up to reach my goals. I am not blinded, worried or haunted by them or my actions. I have accepted what I have to put up with, or give up. I don’t stress, fret or worry over my actions or my losses, what I am missing. What I give up, and what I put up with non issues. They are simply accepted or hurdles that must be hopped to reach an extreme goal.

ANYONE who has the inclination to do something greater then simply exist, and/or be average MUST, Give up and also accept negatives.

If you want to be THE BEST or great at something you will have to give up, let suffer, or accept other pains, hardships. Plain and simple, I don’t care if you want to be the best stay at home mom, the best actor, actress, play write, chess player, or athlete. It’s the same thing, to be the best you must accept the negative to the goals you have and move on. They will be none issues then as will anyone who cares to question your chosen path.

Its those who continue to labor, and usually make little or no progress, that are obsessed. Those that claim to, but don’t truly love their chosen path, that are obsessed. Those who are by the majority living by “I should’s” instead of “I wants,” that are obsessed. Those who are continually in a state of questioning, stressing, and trying to self justify their chosen actions, that are obsessed. And Lastly, Those who are consistently worried and fretting over what others think, or feel, about their actions and goals. Those who feel the need to continually justify there actions to others who are obsessed.

Are You Obsessed? Or are you Striving for greatness on your OWN self chosen path regardless of what others may think. Ask yourself Honestly.

Originally Published on StaleyTraining.com

No comments:

Post a Comment