Popular Posts

Wednesday, June 17, 2009

There Is No Such Thing As a Stupid Question But...

By: Phil Stevens


Questions. Answers. Helping people. Giving guidance and advice is much of what I love about this field. Relating the experiences I’ve gained from under the bar and behind fork to those in need. It can a blast what keeps me going, but at times also frustrating and or comical. Questions, and answers, that range from intelligent and sincere to down right hilarious or idiotic.

I figure I would share some of these from time to time.


Question:

I am an experienced football, rugby, baseball, track, cross country running and skiing, basketball and hockey player. I have won numerous awards. I recently broke my fingers in a football practice, and missed about 4 - 5 weeks of sports. At this time it was my mid-football, beginning basketball and beginning hockey season. It was stupid of me to stop everything just because of a bad brake in my fingers. I believe i have gotten out of shape and would like to get back to my old self. I am now borderline with many kids and would like to be near the top.

Is there anything i can do to work on my 6-pack and chest muscles, and my speed and ARM strength??

-Jon

Answer:

Jon-

Honestly I should not even take the time to give you an honest answer. I cant believe you as a multi-sport athlete asked how to work on your 6 pack. Concentrating on a 6 pack never made anyone a better athlete. A 6 pack happens if your an athlete first. it’s a byproduct largely of being in a lighter weight class or position. Concentrate on what is important, being a better athlete, performing better, make that your priority.

You’ve only been out 4-5 weeks. You’ll bounce back fast. You may have even recovered a great deal, and set yourself up for advancement by taking a break.. All athletes need breaks from time to time, though taking it 100% off was not the best idea.

All you need to do is get back to training. Be consistent, don’t beat yourself up for taking a break, that’s not going to do you any good, Get back rolling and you‘ll rebound in not time. Concentrate on hitting big moves that work your whole body and make you more powerful. Sprinting, dragging things, throwing things, chin ups. These will make you a better athlete, give you your precious 6 pack, not doing crunches and arm curls.

Hope that helps,
Phil


Question:

Firstly, I'm recovering from M.E which I've had for years but learning to live with it - am telling you this incase it impacts on the answer. The last two weeks I've been on a low fat diet, approx 1200 cals a day, or a little over,but below 1500 with odd treats. I've rejoined the gym and have been 7 out of 14 days working 45 mins to an hour and an average heart rate of 140 - 170.

I've done body pump, and legs bums tums, general aerobics. I've done the cardio machines, swimming at maximum ability. I've walked the dog or done body toning on days not at the gym. my starting weight was 145 pounds, i'm 5ft 5inch. after 2 weeks i'm 139 pounds.

i can feel increased muscle definition in my legs, arms bum and abs, yet my body fat has increased from 33% to 40% after week one then up to 41% today, a week later. I don't understand that being so active for the first time in ages, very healthy diet, with the 2 litres of fluid, more than 5 fruit and veg a day, and good mix of protein and carbs. the machine i used was at the gym. Do you think it could be wrong, or am i doing something wrong which is stopping my body burning fat. in which case, what is it burning off? i know my muscles have increased, i can feel the difference.

I've always been body conscious, used to train before i got sick and maintained weight between 126 and 133 pounds for years. It's so hard now and this is quite worrying that even though i feel good about the weight loss, their is a concern if I'm burning good tissue rather than fat. i need every bit of energy just to manage my condition and can't afford to relapse by doing the wrong thing physically. please help/advise, id really appreciate it.

thanks. Barbara


Answer:

Barbara-

Im guessing you're using one of those little hand help or stand on bio-impedance units that are supposed to tell your body fat?? If so that’s the problem, they are about as accurate as going up to some random child and asking them to guess your body fat.

I would gauge your success on your performance and the way your clothes fit. If you are able to perform actions better in the gym then you were prior, you progress, things are easier, its likely you are not losing much if any lean tissue. If your inches go down and your clothes fit better, even if the scale doesn't go down, and your losing size, fat, along with the progressed performance. You cant ask for much else.

I would be sure to do some heavier resistance training a few times a week. Big moves like squatting and pressing. These will preserve that muscle tissue while your shedding fat, make those muscles tighter, and preserve or boost that metabolism

I would also caution you to NOT cut fat to low, you need dietary fat to live simply healthy. Some of the fats are essential fatty acids, (EFA’s) meaning we have to eat them. Our body cant create them. They have to be consumed to met our needs to live healthy and perform optimally. These directly influence cell life/function, hormone production, and even small but noticeable things like skin and hair health. Be sure to get your healthy fats in. Nuts, olive oil, lean meats and eggs (yes they have saturated fat, but saturated fat is NOT!!! Bad, its useful, just not in excess) and some fish oils.

Its sounds like your doing great though Barbara. Keep it up. Don’t trust that lil goofy machine, get your BF read by a professional or an accurate device.

Hope that helps,
Phil


Question:

I'm 15 year old and i have been doing sit-ups for about 6 mouths now and i am starting to notice quite a bit of definition and see my Abs developing and getting harder.
I do 300 Sit-ups an day. I also have an AB toner which i use every now and again.

I am just wondering how much longer with it take me to get a full 6 pack because i would like it to be developed before i go on holiday which is in April i would just like know if there any way of speed it up.

Also what kind of exercises do i need to do for my bottom Abs.

Paul

Answer:

Paul-

14 days. Couple your current routine with a juice fast and distance running. You’ll be sure to not only see that six pack but as well your internal organs and spine. You’ll also lose any desire to live, simply feel like hell, but you’ll be smoking hot in your own mind and fit very well into the current trend of physiques that make those kids Sally Struthers has been aiding for years look jacked.

Stop wasting hours every day doing crunches and add a LOT of weight to your back. Start squatting. Start exercises which employ the core to hold you erect as they are designed to. I would start doing less reps and add load to all your ab work to actually build the muscle. Like any other musculature, you need to build the tissue to se the tissue and that is going to require load. Last your going to have to eat like a bird to get your BF lower.

Cheers,
Phil


QUESTION:

Sir, I just want to ask that which proteins i should add in my diet to increase my muscle mass . I am a badminton player.

Pranjl

ANSWER:

Pranjl,

I would be very careful as a badminton player, I would be careful to not get to jacked and muscle bound. Just busting your chops buddy its not every day you here of someone in competitive badminton Good on you to compete in a sport.

To answer your question it’s pretty simple, concentrate on whole complete protein sources like eggs, dairy, meat, poultry, fish fore the most part. If needed add a protein powder to supplement your intake, but don’t think of it as anything but convenient food.


Question:

HI, my name is Saahil, my weight is 70 kgs and my height is 5ft 11in. i do weights 5 times a week and one day of cardio, im trying to put on some bulk, i have been losing weight of late, although i can lift heavy and am toned, i still look thin, the problem is that i am an eggeterian (veggies + egg) no meat. could you help me to put on some bulk.

Answer:

Saahil,

Yes I can help you. The first thing I would do is show you the joy and progress that can be had when you realize we are at the topof the food chain. The realization that its not only OK, but natural to consume any once living being on this planet, and by doing so you will progress at light speed in comparison to eating like a lesser life form.

It’s all good, more meat for me : ) Saahil it is really a simple case of you needing to put in more calories then you burn. You could either do less work, like drop the cardio, and / or your going to have to eat more total calories. Your really going to have to load up on the eggs to get your protein in as well hit up and beans and rice. I would add copious amounts of fats to your diet as well, nuts, oils, coconut, etc. etc..

If your trying to gain and your losing you simply MUST eat more. This battle is won at the dinner table.

Eat Up
Phil


Question:

My name is George and iv'e recently started weight lifting. I'm a very active person and play sports anywhere from 3-5 days a week. Im 6 foot and 175 pounds. I want to get big muscles and to be in shape. Ive been weighting 5 days a week working on different areas of my body each day. So how long will it take me to see results and to get the body type that i want to achive.


Answer:

George that is an impossible question to answer. Anyone who claims to give you a concrete answer is firing loads of wombat droppings at you.

To be brutally honest its going to take years. It takes time. You have to learn to enjoy the ride. Great bodies are not built in 6 weeks like popular media tries to portray.

To put it another way that will hopefully make more sense. I’ve been everywhere from 165 lbs to 275lbs in the past 8 years and a lot of places in between,. I’ve been shredded at single digit Body fat, I’ve competed in Powerlifting, strongman, trained for physique, and performance. I hold several, state, regional, and national records. I’ve been ranked as high as 10 in the nation. Yet I have not reached what I want or expect from my body. In many ways I'm glad I haven’t, and don’t think I ever will. There will always be a new goal after you reach your old ones. It’s a blessing. We strive and reach goals then make new ones beyond the prior.

Its a long journey. A lifestyle. Learn to enjoy the ride and take pride in knowing it’s taking years to build the body you desire. The beginning and end are nothing but single seconds in time, the meat is all the stuff between them.

Hope that helps
Phil


Question:

Someone told me that eating pure fiber causes baldness, as it absorbs all the oil from ur body n leaves ur skin weak, is that true?

Habib-

Answer:

Habib

WOW!! Thats a new one on me. :) Where the hell do people come up with these.

No, man you'd literally have to bathe in fiber. Possibly intake oatmeal via enema prior to this being a worry.

Eat your fiber, its good.

Stay Regular,

Phil


Originally Published On StaleyTraining.com

No comments:

Post a Comment