Popular Posts

Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Extreme Weight Depletion For Powerlifters With a 24 Hour Window

By: Phil Stevens









Disclaimer: The following is not a recommendation, its simply a documentation of my account of cutting to make weight for a power lifting meet with a 24 hour weigh in. This is simply a culmination of time I've spent studying, people I've talked to, and things I've read.

While I feel what I documented here is the safest and most effective way to drop 20 plus pounds in a matter of hours, One must realize there is a HUGE difference between the word safe and the word healthy. There is no way I would suggest this procedure to someone to benefit them health wise. I would stress any and everyone to take something like this up with their personal physician prior to engaging in it.

That said, I hope this documentation is both informative and entertaining. I know it has helped me in my preparation for further such ventures, though they may not be this extreme from now on, and I'll enjoy watching it for years to come.

Click the link below to watch the 30minutes video documenting this, be aware however its a Large file and you will need a fast connection and or patients

(http://www.staleytraining.com/video/Cut-Experiment.mpg)

Text Summary

Note: My usual sodium intake is high. If you have a usually low intake I would load sodium higher then your usual intake at seven days out. I was also restricted by travel for this and would have started my water load 4 days out but looking back feel this was effective. I would make sure you at least double if not triple your usual consumption.

Day 1 Wednesday June 10th

-water 4 GALLONS
-Mild Laxative to get a bit cleared out
-Food = PROTEIN and fats low carb some celery.
- Increase on my usually high salt intake by adding it to food and shakes
-potassium supplement 100mg

Day 2

-water 4 GALLONS
-Food = PROTEIN and fats low carb some celery.
- Increase on my usually high salt intake by adding it to food and shakes -potassium supplement 100mg
-Woke up 5 lbs down from day 1

Notes: Its official its coming out both end I got the full body super hydration, flush and cleans going on

Day 3

-water 4 GALLONS
-Food = PROTEIN and fats low carb some celery.
- Increase on my usually high salt intake by adding it to food and shakes -potassium supplement 100mg tw
-Woke up 7 lbs down from day 1


Day 4 (Cut Day)

- The basic plan is to drop weight as fast as possible and do so as close to the weight in as possible. The faster you can get dehydrated and the les time you stay in a state of dehydration the better. Also to do so without he use of OTC potassium wasting diuretics which will be to hard to bounce back from and inhibit the rehydration. Lastly to dehydrate with as minimal physical expenditure as possible. Just the act of dehydrating is hard enough to bounce back from if you have do so by doing large amounts of cardio and endurance activity it will be nearly impossible to come back and compete at a high level

-generally you can plan on a water loss of about 2 lbs per hour on average. More in early hour les in later hour. Adjust your time prior to weigh in to fit this and give your self a safety window of two hours if you don't need then nap. After you have done this and are sure of how long it takes you, then widdle away at this to make the time as short as possible.

-You will drop water to a minimum today, drop intake as well.

-Upon waking Bodyweight 260 lbs already down nearly 10 lbs from the start without limiting caloric intake

-6:30 am whey 24oz coffee and sunflower seeds

-9:30 5 stalks celery, approx 4 tbl spoons natural PB, ½ scoop whey 1 cup water

-10:00 258 lbs down 2 lbs

-nap

-12:30
1 bunch of asparagus

½ scoop whey, ½ can coconut milk, 5g glutamine, ½ cup water

2 table spoons celery seeds. ( heated the water and put the celery seeds in it to steep like a tea)

Herbal Urinary blend (2 doses) ( includes cranberry, dandelion extract, marshmallow root, cleavers, corn silk and golden seal)

-still urinating a LOT and just stepping outside I sweat, that's a good thing

-nap

-2:00pm
USP LABS Recreate
4 0z STRONG coffee,
gram vitamin c,
1 tbl spoon peanut butter

-3:00pm
Magnesium Citrate Solution (laxative)

Time to sweat

The general plan is to do 15-30 in a Scalding hot bath, 45 or so sweating bundled in a hot room, car sauna what ever and 15 minutes break to cool down. I would ice your head during this cool off and suck on and spit out ice cube DON'T swallow. Your looking to lower mainly the internal temp of your head as well as your whole body. For safety reasons and also to get a nice rebound effect and start sweating again during the next heated sessions Rinse and repeat until you make weight.

-4:20PM hot tub

-4:50 weigh in still 255.5 but sweating

-5:00 PM Bundle up and sweat and spit

-5:45 weight in =254 and break period.

-6:10-6:25 weight after hot bath = 252

-7:15 weigh in and break 251 lbs

- 8:05 - 8:20 weight after Hot bath =248.5

-8:50 the laxative showed up BIG time had to be worth 1 lb

-9:05 weight after Bundled and break = 243.5

-9:05 1/4 can coconut milk, ice cube and ice towel

-9:45 going well, going to nap for a lil bit and come back strong for the last few lbs, 5 grams glutamine and an ice cube

1:00 2USP LAPS Recreate & Powerful, vic 5 500mg and ice

1:40AM eyes blurry like I was driving drunk to the circle K
to get an energy shot ( you know lots of B, caffeine, and tyrosine)

- then 200mg caffeine, I really want water LOL

-2:15-2:30AM Hot Bath and weigh in=243.5

Something happened all the clocks moved up an hour AHHHHHHHHH! I wasn't expecting that. Its crap like this you need to be sure to take into account never fail you'll forget something or some life thing will try and get in the way. Luckily I was well ahead of schedule

-3:15-4:00 HOT bath

-4AM - break and weight = 242 0n the button
Ice on head and spit ice
Now just monitor weight and maybe do one more bath and sweat session if needed, but I'm sweating as is a little

- 5 am = 242 still sucking cubes and spitting.

-5:30 AM = 242

-6:00 AM = 242

-7:00 make weight 242 SWEET time for the rehydration and reload

RELOAD


This is the last part of the test. I'll refill / rehydrate today, rest as much as possible, and lift tomorrow with the goal of hitting new PR's. I made the 242 weigh in this morning and I walk day to day on a low carb anabolic like diet at 265-270. So dehydrated with glycogen refilled I would like to be back to 270+, and above all perform well.

-To achieve the weight and rehydration I need I will above all tons of fluids. On top of that an emphasis on salt, potassium, a good dose of digestive aids as well as glutamine to get the digestive tract under way. Load up- on as many simple carbs, easily digested proteins, and foods as I can. It will be low fiber for now, I want things to move FAST!! I'm also using a good deal of minerals, herbs, some new things from USP Labs and Vitargo / Gener8, to try and aid in the process. Other then that just tons of rest, the act of just dehydrating takes a ton out of you. It's time to concentrate on performance.


-7:00 AM
24 ounces water, Genr8 Vitargo S2, potassium (200mg), liberal salt, 20g glutamine, 5g creatine. In a shake. As well L-carnatine (1 gram), digestive aids, USP Labs Anabolic Pump

-7:30
15 ounce ice water, salt.

weight shake and doughnuts, and digestive aids , multivitmin

- 8AM
54 ounce Gatorade slushy, potassium (100mg) 48 oz water, 2 scoops whey, 2 doughnuts and digestive aids

-9:00 - 10:00
Two 52 oz shakes. Whey protein and simple carbs with lots of ice water

- Sleep

- 1:00
4 BIG Pancakes, and two protein shakes

-The rest of the day

I am constantly drinking a very dilute whey/carb drink consisting of 25 ounces of water, with 8 grams of whey and around 15 grams of carbs from glucose. This is will add up to a extremely high carb for me, but will assure I get dehydrated, and that my glycogen stores are maxed. I don't care at this point if anything turns to fat, not much damage can happen in one day, and its all about optimizing myself for performance.

I'll have one more big carb meal tonight (pizza and icecream) but I'm not doing much solid food to make room for the liquids. Ill keep loading up on the shakes and sleeping.


- Weight at 8PM = 268
Not to bad right on target that's 26 lbs in 14 hours.


Lifting Day

I will be doing mainly just a push/pull with some light weight squatting prior. I have a knee injury that doesn't get x-rayed until July 1st and I don't want to blow anything with meets coming up I may be able to be ready for. So I really push the bench and DL.

Body weight when woke = 270.5lbs My head if stuffed, sinuses feel like they are stuffed with cotton, but I feel good in general. Still have the urge to drink as much water as I can

Breakfast= pancakes and whey

Prior to lifting= 270.5

-Squat-
Went better then I thought. I worked up to 455 x 1 and called it there. You can see where I stall that's where the knee really starts to hours and feel unstable. I wasn't going to push it further.

-Bench-
These went well. Nailed the opener easy as expected 335lbs. Then I moved up to 370lbs for a 5 lb Gym PR. Lost my tightness getting it off the rack but nailed it with a long pause. Then went for 375. It wasn't happening today feel flat. Maybe with a hand off on a great day, but not today.

-DL-
This went much worse then it should have gone. My original plan was to go up near 700lbs, that's changed fast. I Opened with a very easy 600lbs, it went up great as it should, but I had a feeling that I was going to only have one chance. I had zero energy and had to try something NOW. I knew I wasn't going to get 700 and they way I felt most likely not a PR so I wanted to go with 665 10 lbs lower then my gym PR and I dint even barley crack it off the ground. A pull that should have been in the bag on any day was not even an option today. That's not a good thing. I was just tapped and that's what I had. Sad.

That's the end of it. All in all it was a great learning experience. I was happy with the deplete it was easier then I expected. I was happy with the squat with my knee the way it is and pleased to get a bench PR.

I was very disappointed with the dead Lift. I do know now that I have the ability to drop this amount of weight and even more if needed. Will I?? Was it effective??

I'm not sold either way. I do Know I ran out of gas very fast during the lifting, and didn't feel right. I think I could fix that possibly by adjusting the time of my deplete now that I have a better idea how long it takes. Allowing my self to rest a bit more the day prior, hit the deplete hard and then rehydrate and rest as much as possible. Then again, now for two days following I've still just felt very spent, like I'm running about 75%. I think it took a lot more out of me then I expected. Those things said I would surely use this system to drop anywhere from 5 to 15 lbs with Huge success. Maybe 28 lbs is just a bit excessive to expect to bounce back from.

Special Thanks to Charles Staley. To Matt Kroczaleski, whom I never have met but much of the methods he uses and has written about I have studied and they have influenced me greatly. To all of Team Staley and members of the discussion forum for the support in me doing this.

I hope you enjoyed it and got something useful out of it, or at least a bit of entertainment.

discuss here:

(http://teamstaley.com/showthread.php?t=11925)



No comments:

Post a Comment