Popular Posts

Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Interview With Rob "The Fortress" Fortney Part 1

By: Phil Stevens

Much as the cold wind has been blowing Winter upon many these past few weeks, I have been bombarded, too, by a few pesky Canucks ... those inhabitants of the Great White North. In the past four weeks it seems half my waking hours have been spent dealing with a Canadian in one way or another.

One I’ve had the pleasure to chat with is Robert “Fortress” Fortney. Rob’s an interesting character with plenty of stories, and knowledge from behind the scenes, under the barbell, and behind the fork.

As the former editor of various bodybuilding magazines and online media, and he himself a one-time competitive bodybuilder, Rob has seen more than many of us could hope to dream.

What I want to pick his brain about, and share with you, is his experience as a powerlifter: what he’s learned; what he's absorbed from rubbing elbows with some of the greatest; and how that affects his own training and nutrition.

Rob, the intro doesn’t do you justice. Take a second to tell us a bit about yourself, where your training is now aimed, and where it came from.


Rob Fortney:
Sure. I am a journalist who first entered the bizarre world of bodybuilding at 15, competed in a few contests, and eventually began my professional career as an assistant editor at Bob Kennedy's infamous MuscleMag International. From there it was on to other publications and Web sites, back to MuscleMag for a brief time, and ... to where I now am. But I am not yet sure where that is.

In 1996, after having had another kick at the cat with an appearance at the Toronto Bodybuilding Championships, I decided to end my aspirations to become a professional bodybuilder, and concentrate my training efforts fully on the pursuit of neck-snapping strength and power. It has always been about the training for me, so the tanning, posing and oiling got to be too much for Fortress.

Not that I now dislike bodybuilding. Far from it. But even in my days as a physique competitor, I considered myself what the Barbarian Brothers, Peter and David Paul, called themselves, a power-bodybuilder. Now, as a "powerlifter", I still think of myself as a power-bodybuilder. It's not about competing and winning trophies and titles, but instead, about getting friggin' strong. Period.

The Barbarian Brothers and Tom Platz were my initial inspirations, and still are. But along the way I have added names to my list of influences: Ed Coan, Bill Kazmaier, Dorian Yates, Shawn Ray, Brad Gillingham ... to name but a few. I love muscle, but if it comes without exceptional performance, as well, forget it. I'm not interested.

I entered and won the USAPL Ohio Championships in the early 00s, but have yet to do a follow-up meet. Why? Let's just say life has gotten in the way. And, like I say, competing isn't all that important to me. But I have never stopped training these past 23 years, and continue to become a better and better strength athlete, no question. Weight training is extremely personal to me. Like heavy metal music, it's the blood that flows through my veins. There's another meet in the not-too-distant future, and all I can say is, look out.

My numbers might not set the world on fire, but with all factors considered -- technique, lack of support gear, and drug-free status -- I know what I am capable of is damn impressive on any lifting platform. But this isn't conceit. Fact is, what I do I do for myself. It's for this very reason that I've lasted this long.


PS:
Damn, Rob. I knew I'd enjoy this interview. Let's talk about your training evolution. I love the "... getting friggin' strong. Period" attitude, focus on performance, and the list of your influences. They are more varied than most athletes' would be in this time of over-specialization. How do you feel each has influenced your performance and / or training style? What are the beneficial overlaps from one training style to the next? I guess what I am asking is, what do you define as your training style? The men from which you draw influence are all impressive in their own right, strength-wise, but they vary quite a bit in approach. What's Fortress's cream that's been sorted from the crop?

RF: Thanks. Fortress doesn't wish to disappoint. But could you ask more questions all at once?! What a bastard.

I draw influence from many different athletes in the world of iron. Why should it matter what exact discipline they practice? A great weight trainer is great weight trainer, regardless of whether they powerlift or merely lift weights to look a certain way in front of a judging panel.

As an animal most interested in strength, I suppose some of my employed techniques are a bit strange. After all, I squat using an Olympic style. Not shoulder-width narrow, either. Platz narrow. But I was a bodybuilder at one time, so ... Plus, it's important to understand that I want to be genuinely strong, not just post great numbers in a meet.

For example, there are guys who post huge numbers on the squat, but are not what Fortress would call particularly strong. With an ultra-wide stance, questionable depth, use of a monolift, drugs, and excessive support gear, these folks "squat" several hundred pounds or more. All things being equal, these powerlifters would be lucky to not be permanently buried under four-hundred pounds.

The common factor among my influences is their use of clean technique and their pursuit, conscience or unconscience, of weight training as art. I like my weight training as I like my heavy metal: precise and tight with emphasis on the action beyond any generic playbook. There's got to be a need to be doing what you're doing.

Modern civilization makes it tough to maintain manliness.The pursuit of money isn't particularly manly. The personality attributes some would suggest are necessary to collect vast wealth might be masculine in nature, but the actual pursuit? It ain't killing a boar for dinner, or fighting with enemies to defend your property or family, is it? Man, I just went off topic. Who gives a shit. Fortress speaks what needs to be said.

I define my training style as like a brutal ballet. Extreme aggression and might with barbaric movements, but honed into physical movement that might resemble something as graceful and refined as ballet. Within myself I am a raging storm. Such intensity pours out and can be felt by those in close proximity. However, in my most brutal moments, I am happy.

Attitude is everything when it comes to weight training. To build large and powerful muscle one must commit himself to many years of hellacious training. To last, motivation must come from within. You can be motivated from an external source, but it won't last. If the fire doesn't burn within, you'll throw in the towel, or become frustrated, many years before you'd even begin to get somewhere. Here's something sure to piss off some folks.

I believe a great many of the so-called professionals in bodybuilding are far away from actually being hardcore. You know, real bodybuilders. True bodybuilders quickly move beyond a desire to be "large and in charge". Not that there's anything wrong with wanting to be big and muscular. It's fun. But there's got to be something more to it than that. It can't be put into words, either.


PS:
I see how you roll, Fortney. Now you've done it. Bastard?! Nobody calls the Platinum Wombat bastard, not even you, Fortress. How are you going to answer to that, tough guy? We're going to continue this discussion next week. Going to have to give the Wombat a chance to cool down a bit so he doesn't go all prehistoric on ya.


No comments:

Post a Comment