Popular Posts

Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Pop Quiz: Let's Brush Up On Our Knowledge...

By Phil Stevens

I’ll be the first to admit I am more of a down in the trenches, get your hands dirty type. A get in there, get that bar on your back and fork in your hand and get er done Type of guy.

I mean that’s really where all the work gets done and most things are learned or at the least proven.


That said, I do also thoroughly enjoy educating myself further in the fields of training and Nutrition. Reading, talking and watching informative content to find new things to try, exploring topics in depth at times damn near the point of paralysis. Which I then again have to just shut it off and get my hands dirty again to prove or disprove these new ideas.

Recently Charles and I were having a conversation with a product designer that got very technical, though it was not above my head, I had lost the simple ability to reproduce much of the concepts or definitions in a coherent spoken language that the layperson, myself, would be able to understand. You know those times you know what is being said but you just cant relay the message.

What does this mean?? It was time to brush up on some simple terminology and definitions. We all lose such abilities like this that we do or do not use in every day talk. Its good to do a little refreshing at times so I figure I'll start a series where from time to time I give a quiz on some terms of theories that relate to fitness and nutrition.

I wont be able to tell if you cheat so I’ll just have to trust you to be honest and take the test without looking to an outside source. Either way it’ll be a good way for us all to stay on the up and up on some pretty fundamental vocabulary.


1. How Do You Calculate Final Velocity?

A. Velocity equals speed multiplied by time. V = s*t

B. Velocity equals speed multiplied by distance. V = s*d

C. Velocity equals power times distance divided by time V = (p*d)/t

D. Velocity equals displacement (change in position) divided by time. V = d/t


2. What Is Speed?

A. The amount of force applied in a measurable distance

B. Distance traveled per unit time

C. Distance traveled per unit of power applied

D. The ability to change body position rapidly


3. What Is Force?

A. The time rate at which work is done or energy is transferred

B. The capacity to do work or cause physical change; energy, strength, or active power

C. The integral of the power over a distance of displacement.

D. Force is the product of an object's mass and velocity


4. What Is Agility?

A. The ability to change body position rapidly and accurately without losing balance.

B. Is the ability to sustain repeated contractions against a resistance for an extended period of time.

C. The ability to produce rapidness of movement or activity.

D. Skill and grace in physical movement, especially in the use of the hands; adroitness


5. How Is Power (P) Calculated ?

A. P = Mass / velocity

B. P = Force / Time

C. P = Work / Time

D. P = Speed / work


Best of luck.

Originally Published on StaleyTraining.com

No comments:

Post a Comment